Peer learning is the best learning. Think peer andshare, it means involving small groups of 5-6 students working andlearning in a group toward achieving a collective goal. Syndicategroups can make learning experience more interesting and generatemany opportunities for exchanging ideas and helps the students tohave a more meaningful participations and discussions.
Syndicate learning is a very useful tool whereone can extract the potential of every member of the team.This givesus opportunity of using stronger points of each team member and at thesame time learning it from the them.This helps us balance the team as wellas keep the moral of each one of them.The aim of syndicate learning is towork towards the same goal collectively.Syndicate groups can make learning experiencesmore interesting.It generates many opportunities for creative interchangeof ideas and lively, meaningful participations and discussion amongstudents.Would like to learn how it can be implemented in Pre-Primary.
Deepthy. MScience Co-ordinator, Samsidh MLZS HSR
In order to facilitate effective transfer of acquired knowledge and skills, the Institute employs a wide range of training techniques, varying from the traditional lecture method to participative and experiential learning methods like syndicate, group discussions, role-play, in-basket exercises and case study.Out of this syndicate learning is a method in which learning brought to people instead of bringing people to learning.A syndicate is primarily a study group, the members of which represent the principal sub-groups participating in the programme. The syndicate has a chairperson and a secretary, the positions of which are generally held in rotation by the participants.A problem is assigned to the syndicate for study and solution. The group works on its own, with only minimum guidance from the faculty, makes its own library studies, collects data, exchanges views and experience, avails itself of the facility of consulting specialists in the field, and finally prepares a report on the assignment.The report of each syndicate is presented to an assembly of the training faculty and all the syndicates in the training programme as a whole for comments and discussion. The study on any subject may continue for a month or more, with 10 to 12 sittings.
LEENA SAROLKARPRE-PRIMARY CO-ORDINATOR, HORAMAVU The literal meaning of the word ‘Syndicate’ is a group of individuals or organizations combined to promote a common interest.Implementing Syndicate learning method in class - It is basically a group learning. Syndicate learning is a form of peer learning involving small groups of 5-6 students working together. As every class contains mixed group of learners, grouping them as per their abilities and assigning the concept, makes them help each other. Teacher can segregate the children in the group as per their skill levels. Students learn well when different skills and levels are mixed. Strongest skilled student, with average learners grouped with below average students, allow the students to build their social circle with all kinds of peers, observe skills of each other and improve themselves.This is an effective way to have students share ideas, listen or team up with a partner. As they work in peer group, it can help the students to overcome inhibition and share their ideas. Working in a group brings the sense of responsibility to peers and work hard. Every child in the group can get the opportunity to contribute to the group as per their abilities. However, as I was thinking more about Syndicate learning, I would like to discuss certain shortfall of this method and ways to deal with them-
- The intelligent student in the group might not like the ideas shared by other members as he could have better ideas. In that case, either he/she end up being dominant or avoid to participate.
- The below average students might get minimal work or not been taken seriously by other members
- Students can succumb to peer pressure.
MAMTA CHANDRAPRINCIPAL , SAMSIDH MOUNT LITERA ZEE SCHOOL
Meaning: When a group of people work together to realise the same objective they are said to a Syndicate. In learning, when a group of learners with a combination of the very intelligent, average and below average performers come together and learn , it is called Syndicate Learning.This form of learning is preferred as the learners are learning along with and from their peers either through discussions, or experimenting together. The objective of this learning is seen to be realized faster and more concretely as the learners would be totally involved in the process and also used their own way of deducing a solution to a problem.The teacher becomes a facilitator in this process . Her role is to make the syndicate a balanced with one intelligent, two average children and 2 below average children. She should also stimulate learning by giving the sufficient time frame and resources .The Learning outcomes in such form of learning is not Rote or forced. Hence the advantage.
Manjula. BKannada Co-ordinator, Samsidh MLZS, HSR
Syndicate teaching / learningSyndicate learning is a form of peer learning involving small groups of 5-6 students working in semi-independent groups toward achievement of a collective goal. Each batch was randomized into two equal sub-groups. Syndicate groups can make learning experience more interesting; generate many opportunities for creative interchange of ideas and lively, meaningful participations and discussion among students.
Nidhi BhatMath Content Developer, Azvasa Team
SYNDICATE TEACHING:A class is divided into 5 or 6 syndicates. Each syndicate works as a team. By rotation each member becomes a leader. It is the best peer learning practice. This method leads the students to sense of responsibility, open mindedness and they concentrate more on task than on non – work related discussions.The absence of teachers enables the students to take more responsibility and become self – motivated.Peer teaching is a powerful method by which students can develop a sophisticated understanding of concepts as they explain them to others. The students are more engaged and motivated in the work they undertake. The students learn by actively listening to alternative arguments and by becoming open minded to assimilate other ideas within what they already understand.
Nurturing Giftedness Through
Nurturing Giftedness Through -
1. Syndicate Method
- Syndicate method is a participative method, which consists of dividing the participants into number of groups for the purpose of discussion, in exercise, or work on work on a project.
- A group of individuals engaged in some serious discussion and when we use syndicate as a method, the group discusses to learn.
- We are already incorporating in our system with the teachers as well as students wherein teachers have micro planning with a group of teachers and come out with one outcome. Students are also given the same kind of exercise to discuss and plan for some activities, which they enjoy and come out with beautiful plans.
Pavitra ChandramohanContent Developer - Azvasa
Syndicate Learning is a learning model designed for children to help them learn better. The syndicate learning model caters to the needs of children with different learning levels. The process involves grouping children with different learning levels in a single group and giving them to a task to work on. The benefit of syndicate learning is that students learn various skills like problem solving, decision making and team work from their peers. It gives a chance to every student to showcase their talent in their area of interest and therefore, every child becomes a star performer once.An example of Syndicate Learning, make a group of 5 children with different learning levels and give them a picture of illusion. Ask the group to look at it and tell what they can see in the picture. After the given time is over ask the team what they could see, analyse their answer and the process that was involved to reach a conclusion. Find out the student who stood out in this task. Later, give a different task and find out the student who shines out in that. This way we can find out the strength areas of our students.This is learning model is used widely in the western countries and known as peer education. Incorporating this model in the Indian Education system will help students to learn and perform better.
Points to ponder on the discussion done with Mr. Prabhat Kaushik
- The delegation of work has to be done to teachers after accessing their true strengths and potential, content expertise, achieving common goals, experience, problem solving skills, interest and zeal.
- The needs of 21st century are problem solving capability, adaptability, confidence, creativity, team spirit
- Ice breaking activities are conducted in between the periods
- The students are given training on learning English for 15 days before teaching any other subjects in the beginning of the year.
- Define the learning objectives at the beginning of the year. Timetable is made elaborative to include different methods of teaching.
Syndicate learning methods
- Syndicate learning method is recommended as the best learning method.
- Peer learning is the best way to learn.
- In syndicate learning method, a mixed group is formed which contains a mixture of brilliant, average and weak students.
- A class of 20-40 students may be divided into syndicates of 4 to 8 students in each group.
- To attain the desired learning outcomes, the following steps are followed.
- Learning objectives are designed
- A process is set
- The learning outcomes are achieved through the process
- Through this method it is proven that the students develop a great capacity for applying learned concepts in new situation.
- The various strengths of each student are put together for problem solving or arriving the desired learning outcome.
This method has paved way for enhancing student’s confidence, engagement, motivation and enjoyment in learning process.